Thursday, August 23, 2012

31 Day Challenge Day 2 - Orange

'Ello ladies!

I'm back for the second day in the challenge! If I had been feeling discouraged about participating, you all would have convinced me with the sweet comments on the last challenge mani. I will never not be amazed at how nice everyone is in this, our little weird nail polish obsessed community.

Now, the task for today was Orange, and boy is this sucker orange. This is POP Beauty Mandarin, a neon orange color. I also freehanded my first leopard print! It's by no means ever anywhere near perfect but, from afar, it looked really cool. I sent a pic to le boyfriend of these nails and titled them 'Cheeto Nails'. They look exactly like that, like you ate a whole bag and that weird 'cheese' still hasn't been licked off.

EDIT: I completely spaced on mentioning who inspired me to do this! There's been a lot of leopard print nails but it was when The Little Canvas posted this awesome neon skittles mani that I decided to go for it! Make sure you check her blog, aside from being a sweetheart on twitter, she does great nail art too!



As you can see, definitely not perfect but that's part of the beauty of the leopard print, imperfectness still works. I do have to work on my spacing and not make the nail too cluttered. Also, you see the huge spot in the middle fingernail, right in the center? Yeah, that wasn't there. As I was about to take the pics I dinged the nail with the camera and took off some of the polish. Since it was late and I was cranky, I just filled in the hole with white, outlined the spot, topcoated and called it a day.

I hope you like this and if you have any advice/comments about this technique, let me know!

Never don't ever forget to check the other ladies participating!

-Diana at Nails By Diana
-Meredith at Perfectly Polished
-Nicole at The Color Republic
-Sam at Polished Art
-Nicole at Nicole Gets Nailed
-Shelby at Shelby's Swatches
-Stephanie Louise at All Things Beautiful
-Liz and Lisa @ Lozlosa 
-Mari at Nailista
-Miss L at Beauty by Miss L 
-Gini at Sassy Paints 
-Pam at Nail-E-Glance

24 comments:

  1. Haha, they really do look like Cheeto Nails! Looks great and delicious =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They did look delicious but, when I licked them, it was not pleasant.

      Delete
  2. Holy hell I love that color! And I'm not into orange at all! Rock on, girl!

    I have yet to master freehand leopard. My spots always look too planned. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so not an orange lover either, but I seemed to NEED this one! Glad I finally caved, it's definitely neon :P

      ChalkboardNails' video tutorial on this shows how she spaces her spots and that's what I used as a guide. Still turned out crowded IMO, but not that bad.

      Delete
  3. Yay for animal print! I love that orange, I kinda need it LOL -=X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible, I'm turning into an animal print lover! :P

      Delete
  4. These are great for your first attempt at leopard!! I love the orange too - super bright!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should see that orange with a white base under- practically blinding!

      Delete
  5. I think these look amazing for free hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They remind me of some college team colors, like a girl would have these done to go to a football game or something. Am I overthinking it? Perhaps.

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely orange :) And I agree that they're great, especially for a first try! What did you use to outline your spots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a double-ended dotting tool, the fatter side for the spots and the smaller one for outlining :)

      Delete
  7. Love that, wish my first freehand at animal print had turned out this lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Let me know if you do! They're really not difficult at all.

      Delete
  9. Kat ~ Great idea, perfectly executed! Did you use a brush or pen for the outlining? You're right-on about the color! A perfectly processed food match, if ever there was one!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a dotting tool for the spots. This polish should definitely be the official polish of Cheeto lovers :D

      Delete
  10. late in commenting! fail on my part! but i LOVEEEE this!!! free and always looks amazing, and of course on neon it's even more amazing! I would have never noticed the spot you dinged with the camera unless you mentioned it! Great job and I love it!!!! Thank you for the shout out, you are beyond sweet <3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love! I figured no one would notice the spot but that's what made me want to say it.

      Did that make sense? LOL, sorry.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really cherish each and every piece of feedback I might get.

Blogging tips