Saturday, November 10, 2012

My Flag - Una Sola Estrella Libre

Hello all!

If you saw my last post, you might know I had no idea what to do on my nails for today's challenge. I never really wanted to do the flag of Puerto Rico because...in all honesty, I find plastering your flag everywhere a little tacky. However, there is a very important point I thought I should comment on so I decided to go ahead and do my little island's flag.

I used Essie Blanc, L'Oreal Jet Set to Paris and Bettina 197. 



You may or may not have heard that Puerto Rico held elections Nov. 6, same as the US. In these elections we also held a plebiscite to determine the country's status. We could either remain a Commonwealth ("independent" but associated to the US) or we could vote to become a state. This has caused some extreme confusion for the media.

To be clear, WE DID NOT VOTE TO BECOME A STATE. In truth, the ballot was designed by the pro-statehood party and the numbers were skewed by people who filled their ballots incorrectly and thus they were not counted. However, these news have hit and a torrential outpour of complaints have surfaced on the internet. People stating why we are not ready to become a state and how we, us little simple good for nothing island people, would be a drain on the US economy.

To these people I have to say, I understand the misconceptions you may have about the puertorrican people. To any other people still not convinced, your loss. We have awesome food.

In my honest opinion, I don't want Puerto Rico to become the 51st state. I'm not 100% content with the current status either but, this way, at least I get to fill my heart with pride when I see our little flag waving in events like the Olympics or major sports.

I'm sorry this was so long and I am truly sorry if I offended anyone as I was offended in the last few days. I really just had to get this out somewhere and you all suffered the brunt of my hurt. Hopefully, things can take a turn for the better now that we got rid of the douche governor we had. I can only hope we didn't replace him with another douche (although that's usually the way these things go).

If you're still here and you got through all that mess up there, thank you for reading my ramblings. Now go see some more pretty flag nails!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure non-douche politicians exist... Love the nails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, and excellent post, Kat!

    Viva La Puerto Rico!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really cherish each and every piece of feedback I might get.

Blogging tips